Ohio State Legal Services Association (OSLSA), is a three-part legal aid program headquartered in Columbus. OSLSA’s mission is to provide civil legal aid and advocacy to combat unfairness and injustice and to help people rise out of poverty.
OSLSA is actively seeking a professional, reliable Operations Director to support our growing team as well as serve as a reliable partner throughout our family of organizations. This is a new position created to support increased staff size and align existing functions to meet organizational needs.
In this role, you will be responsible for the leadership and coordination of internal infrastructure including information technology, building and property management, compliance and other key systems and processes to increase efficiencies across the service area.
This position will also serve as an integral member of the senior management team working closely with leadership to develop the organization’s strategic goals and participate in making strategic decisions that promote the long-term success of OSLSA and ensure progress toward our mission, vision and values.
Are You Someone That:
- Enjoys developing and implementing strategies and systems to effectively solve problems?
- Is motivated, professional and thrives within a collaborative, team-driven environment?
- Creates processes to increase work efficiencies to work smarter, not harder?
- Is analytical and detail-oriented?
- Balances various stakeholder relationships and differing needs successfully?
- Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and quality?
- Is dedicated to improving the lives of low-income individuals in our communities?
- Enjoys employing a balance of technical, operational and leadership skills on a day to day basis?
- Likes the satisfaction of creating and utilizing a well-structured, highly functional spreadsheet?
- Provide leadership and vision, and act as a partner to the leadership team, to help drive the organization to a new level of success by instilling continued operational improvements
- Manage and support the Intake and IT departments including managers, staff, processes, equipment and other operational needs
- Monitor and ensure compliance with Legal Services Corporation and other funders
- Establish the appropriate policies and procedures to meet and support the organization’s long and short-term objectives
- Proactively identify and address improvement opportunities including cost reductions and working capital improvements
- Manage facilities across the service area including property management, coordination with vendors and developing a long term plan to meet the dynamic needs of the organization.
- Demonstrated progressive experience in project management, supporting infrastructure and operations with a proven record of performance and achievement
- Strong leadership, planning, management and organizational skills and ability to direct the outcome of multiple complex projects in a dynamic environment
- Experience analyzing grant financial data and preparing reports, statements and projections based on data
- Demonstrated experience exploring and implementing systems and information technology initiatives
- Evidence of being a strategic, creative thinker with the ability to develop and implement processes and plans
- Experience implementing systems and processes to provide key operating metrics to senior management
- High ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion
- High ability to facilitate collaboration as well as build and sustain productive relationships with diverse individuals, groups and organizations
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and written, with diverse audiences
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion both internally and externally
- Strong work ethic with an eye for detail
- Ability to prioritize workload to manage time and tasks and delegate responsibilities in an effective and efficient manner
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, knowledge of current technologies and commitment to remain up to date with industry best practices
- English language proficiency is essential and Spanish/English bilingual skills are a plus. Additional languages – even better
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and admitted to the Bar of the State of Ohio (or if not currently admitted, expected to obtain admission within 12 months from date of hire) preferred
- Prior Legal Aid or related work experience a plus, but not required
- It is the policy of OSLSA not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, age, ancestry, and military status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- The position reports to the Executive Director, is based in Columbus, Ohio and requires regular travel throughout the service area.
- Salary is dependent upon level of experience. OSLSA offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package and ongoing training and development opportunities.
Submit resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
OSLSA includes Southeastern Ohio Legal Services (SEOLS), the Legal Aid Society of Columbus (LASC) and the Ohio Poverty Law Center (OPLC). While OSLSA’s administrative office is in Columbus, SEOLS serves thirty counties through six different branch offices located throughout Southeastern Ohio. The Legal Aid Society of Columbus serves six counties through two offices, the main office it shares with OSLSA and a branch office in Marion. OPLC has a small staff, all based in the Columbus office.
OSLSA has a budget of about $13 million and a staff of 110, including 65 lawyers. OSLSA, LASC and OPLC each have their own board and there are two different unions. LASC affiliated with OSLSA in 2009 and the consolidation of the programs has gone well though there is still potential to achieve greater efficiencies and synergies. OSLSA has several shared administrative staff and functions including finance, development, pro bono, and technology. OSLSA enjoys a good financial position with sizeable reserves and has grants from over 60 funders.